Schools By Region
Career Guide - Philippine Education, Skills and Job Outlook
CAD Operator Career Guide
A CAD (Computer Aided Design) Operator is one who operates a CAD system. In many design environments, the CAD Operator is equivalent to a draftsperson. The CAD Operator's role is much broader than that of a traditional draftsman because CAD systems require not only traditional drafting or drawing expertise but computer skills as well.
CAD Operator Task
* Responsible for creating the working drawings or other graphical documents
that result from the design process;
* May take sketches or specifications from an architect, engineer, or other designer, and translate them into detailed CAD drawings that can be used as the basis for a construction project, or for the manufacture of a product;
* Maybe responsible for creating finished designs for a project, working primarily from the specifications and other inputs of lead designers;
CAD Operator Basic Educational Requirement
The minimum educational requirement is some college education from any discipline. However, most employers prefer those who have a background in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, or Computer Science.
Typically, CAD Operators are required to undergo training on multiple CAD programs and platforms, general computing theory and a variety of productivity applications.
CAD Operator Skills and Competencies* A thorough background in traditional drafting and design concepts;
* Mastery of the basics of one or more CAD systems;
* Ability to understand and interpret architectural and other engineering plans, sections, elevations and details;
* Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area circumference and volume; and to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry;
* Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; and to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form;
* Familiarity with the following mainstream software programs : PTC Pro-Engineer (Pro-E Wildfire 1.0 or higher preferred) and Autodesk Autocad (Autocad 2000 or higher preferred); experience with PTC Intralink (Intralink 2.0 or higher);
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Windows applications.
CAD Operator Physical Attributes and Characteristics* Pro-active, organized and have the ability to take initiative;
* Multi-faceted with the ability to be a team player.
CAD Operator Salary / Compensation
* Locally, salaries for CAD Operators at the entry level ranges from P15,000
to P24,000 per month. Aside from the basic pay, they also get allowances and
* Overseas, CAD Operators receive as much as P60,000 to P100,00 per month.
CAD Operator Prospects for Career Advancement
A CAD Operator position is a strong entrance into a variety of work environment. As a fully trained CAD Operator, one can enter the workplace with a standard set of skills that can translate into a wide variety of career tracks.
Because they have experience in computers, applications, and operating systems, CAD Operators can step outside of design to get involved in the Information Technology (IT) Department of a company. This move can lead to a career in programming, database management and network administration.
The following fields of work need a CAD Operator in their organization : - Architecture, Industrial Design Engineering, Gar- den design and Construction - Building Engineering - Mechanical (MCAD) - Electronic and Electrical (ECAD) - Manufacturing process planning - Digital Circuit design - Software Applications - Apparel and Textile CAD
There are numerous opportunities for CAD Operators, both locally and overseas, since architectural and engineering design are now mostly translated into detailed CAD drawings.
CAD Operator Training Schools and Cost of Training
* Magnacad Technologies School Inc. 826 Nicanor Reyes St., Manila
* Microcadd Technologies Co., Inc. SM City, Sta. Mesa
* Arkicadd Center for Computer Education GF Morninglow Bldg., 607 EDSA, Cubao
* Infotech Institute of Arts and Sciences, Inc. 632 20th Century Bldg., Shaw Blvd., Mandaluyong City
* Interface Computer College 2F Cartimar Center Bldg., C.M. Recto Ave., Quiapo, Manila
A number of computer schools offer training on AUTO CADD with the training period ranging from 60 - 70 hours. The cost of training is approximately P4,000 for a 60-hour training period and P5,600 for 70 hours training.
* Based on 2007 rates