Schools By Region
Career Guide - Philippine Education, Skills and Job Outlook
Computer Programmer Career Guide
Computer Programmers write, modify, integrate and test computer codes for microcomputer and mainframe software applications, data processing applications, opening and operating systems-level software, and communications software. Computer Programmers generally know more than one programming language. In practice, these programmers often are referred to by the language they know such as Java programmers, or by the type of function they perform or environment in which they work - for example, database programmers, mainframe programmers, or Web programmers.
Computer Programmer Task
* Write, modify, integrate and test software codes;
* Maintain existing computer programs by making modifications as required;
* Identify and communicate technical problems, processes and solutions;
* Prepare reports, manuals and other documentation on the status, operation and maintenance of software;
* Assist in the collection and documentation of user�s requirements;
* Assist in the development of logical and physical specifications;
* Research and evaluate a variety of software products.
Computer Programmer Basic Educational Requirement
A Computer Programmer must have a bachelor's degree in computer science or in
another discipline with a significant computer programming content.
Specialization in programming for engineering and scientific applications requires specific post-graduate study or experience.
Computer Programmer Skills and CompetenciesA Computer Programmer must be familiar with the different computer languages that work with programming and web environment:
* Cobol, Java, and C++ (primary computer languages);
* SQL, and XQuery (Query languages);
* HTML (Markup language which is typically used for producing documents);
* XSLT (Transformation language);
* Must have extensive knowledge of a variety of operating systems and be able to configure the system to work with different types of hardware.
Computer Programmer Physical Attributes and Characteristics* He/She should think logically and must pay attention to details;
* Patience and persistence;
* Ability to do exacting analytical work, especially under pressure;
* Ingenuity and creativity in designing solutions and in testing work for potential failure;
* Good communication skills, both oral and written.
Computer Programmer Salary / Compensation
Entry level Programmers make around P15,000 - P20,000 per month. Experienced and advanced lead programmers and system programmers can receive as much as P50,000 a month.
Computer Programmer Prospects for Career Advancement
For Computer Programmers who keep up to date with the latest technology, the prospects for advancement are good. They may be promoted to Lead Programmer and be given supervisory responsibilities. Some may move into Systems Programming, Programmer Analyst or Systems Analyst on a managerial level.
Computer Programmer Employment Opportunities
In our "computer tech age", Computer Programmers are highly in demand here and abroad. Most of the businesses in different industries use computers and need a certain software to run them. Each of these software programs is tailor-made by the programmers to fit the system needs of the business and it is the task of Computer Programmers to develop these Computer Software Programs.
According to the Philippine Software Development Industry Association (PSIA), in the Software Industry alone, the demand for Computer programmers will reach an estimated total of 385,400 for the period 2007-2010.
Computer Programmer Cost of Education
The cost of pursuing a Bachelor Degree (4-year course) in Computer Science may cost from P100,000 to as high as P280,000 depending on the educational institution the student is enrolled.
* Based on tuition fee rates for school year 2007-2008