Schools By Region
Career Guide - Philippine Education, Skills and Job Outlook
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Career Guide
Heavy Equipment Mechanics perform skilled tasks in the mechanical repair and maintenance of heavy trucks, earth moving and related construction equipment including road graders, tractors, garbage trucks, dump trucks, and bulldozers.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Task
* Diagnose, service and repair various systems that are found on pieces of
heavy equipment such as mechanical and electronic controls, air brake systems,
transmissions, high voltage generators, and pneumatic systems;
* Troubleshoot and repair malfunctions in the equipment;
* Fabricate, modify and install special equipment or replacement parts;
* Perform routine maintenance checks and adjustments on fluid levels, hoses, belts, brakes, tires and clutches;
* Change filters and oil, and lubricate vehicles and motor driven equipment;
* Diagnose problems, disassemble units, repair or replace parts, and reassemble units;
* Overhaul engines, replace engines, and rebuild components;
* Tune gas and diesel engines; services valves; fuel filters and turbo chargers; and pressure checks fuel filters;
* Prepare work orders and cost material estimates.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Basic Educational Requirement
A high school diploma and completion of a formal training in a heavy equipment mechanic training program is a pre requisite to qualify for the job. This is to be supplemented with on--the-job training for certain periods of time.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Skills and Competencies
* Mechanical aptitude;
* Knowledgeable about the fundamentals of diesel engines, transmission, electrical systems, computers, and hydraulics;
* Care and use of hand and power tools employed in all phases of heavy equipment mechanical maintenance and repair work;
* Ability to make skillful, controlled manipulations of small objects to repair equipments;
* Ability to read, understand, and apply information from charts, graphs, and manuals;
* Ability to read, understand, and carry out oral and written instructions.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Physical Attributes and Characteristics* Flexible and have the capacity to learn new skills quickly;
* Physically fit (i.e. can move heavy objects; bend or stoop repeatedly overtime; lift arms above shoulder level).
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Salary / Compensation
The monthly basic salary of a Heavy Equipment Mechanic may range from P10,000 to P18,000 depending on the industry he is employed.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Prospects for Career Advancement
Highly experienced heavy equipment mechanics and those with leadership ability may become shop supervisors or service managers. Others may become entrepreneurs and open their own repair shops where they can work independently and earn higher incomes.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Employment Opportunities
Employment of Heavy Equipment Mechanics is expected to grow to support the needs of industries such as in construction; mining; transport; and services that deal with equipment dealership, rental and leasing.
Technology would also result to more complicated equipment requiring the services of specially-trained technicians to provide periodic repair and maintenance of equipment..
Heavy Equipment Mechanic Cost of Education
The training cost for heavy equipment mechanics approximately ranges from P6,000 - P8,000 and training duration is about 3 months.
* Based on 2007 training rates