A growing community of friends…
La Consolacion College in Bacolod was established on March 12, 1919 by three Augustinian sisters whose attempt to open a colegio in Sibalom, Antique, ended in frustration.
In 1917, on the request of Jaro Bishop, Dennis Dougherty, the three sisters initiated their Catholic apostolate there because of the strong Aglipayan presence in the province. One of the founders of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente, Fr. Narciso Hijalda was from there and he became its first IFI bishop. Understandably, the Catholics were in a minority and suffering from the backlash of the Spanish rule that ended in 1898.
The sisters tried their best to educate the children of the remaining Catholics, but they were derided and ridiculed. Their convent was stoned at night and some rabid Aglipayans refused to sell to them. Despite the various difficulties, their work received commendations during the provincial fair in 1918 where they exhibited the arts and crafts of their students. But the pressure for them to leave became stronger when even the niece of the IFI bishop that studied in the colegio sought to be baptized. The pressure had also taken a toll on the health of the sisters, causing Mother Consuelo BarcelÃ³, the superior general, to advise the bishop that she was deeply concerned with the health of the sisters.
As Providence would have it, Fiscal Quirico Abeto of Antique was transferred to Negros Occidental. His daughter was a student in the colegio and when he heard of the predicament of the sisters, informed them that the parish priest of Bacolod, Fr. Francisco Vega was looking for a religious order to open a girlâ€™s school in Bacolod. Fr. Vega and prominent families in the province have invited several religious orders but all refused. Mother Consuelo looked into the situation and agreed to the proposition. Fr. Vega had offered the convento (present Bishopâ€™s House) to be school, convent for the sisters, and dormitory for the girls from the towns. With the approval of the new Jaro Bishop Mauricio Foley, Fr. Vega bought the house near the church (present LCC college building) that he used as the parish convent.
From Antique, the three sisters arrived on March 12, 1919 on the shores of Bacolod. They were Sor Tomasa de la Sagrada Familia, Sor Maria Teresa de Jesus and Sor Alfonsa de la Santisima Trinidad. In the reception given to them by the parish priest, public officials and several families announced the founding of the Colegio de la SeÃ±ora de la Consolacion, an all girls school. On July 15, the school opened its doors to the first students – 36 interns, who were living inside the school dormitory and 50 externs who live with their families or in private boarding houses.
From this humble beginning, Colegio de la SeÃ±ora de la Consolacion grew and became the first and pioneering private Catholic educational institution in the province of Negros Occidental.
Eighty-eight years after she was instituted, La Consolacion College Bacolod has gone a long, long way. Since her foundation in 1919, she has blossomed into one of the most prestigious schools in Region 6.
As proof of her commitment to the highest standards of academic excellence, La Consolacion College Bacolod has achieved notable records in board examinations for architects where her graduates had been 1st placers, at other times 2nd, 3rd or a 4th but more often 100 percent passers in the Licensure Examinations for Architects given by the government throughout the Philippines. She is the only school in the region to offer a free and paid international practicum training program for hospitality management, tourism, and commerce students. And just as any prominent colleges ad universities in the country, she has by the same token produced notable civic officials who are now serving the communities here and abroad. All these feats and more have propelled LCCB to a stature as one of the countryâ€™s top performing educational institutions.
Even more, LCC Bacolod values sterling education beyond standards. This is proven by her efforts of accrediting curricular programs from the basic education department to the select programs in the college department by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU).
Structurally, La Consolacion College Bacolod has improved dramatically. The rapid growth in population of her students was followed by an increasing demand for improvement of school facilities. The college now has exclusive campuses for her School of Architecture, Fine Arts and Interior Design and for the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management. A swim center has also been established. A five-storey hotel building of eminent standard was built for the actual training and formation of HRM and Tourism students. The Mother Consuelo BarcelÃ³ Activities Center is the latest of these architectural masterpieces and a legacy of the present administrators to the future clientele.
LCCB has proven herself as a reputable institution. Her Education Training Department has produced teachers, supervisors and superintendents not only for the Province but also nationwide. Not to be outdone is the fact that six awardees of the Metrobank Most Outstanding Teachers of the Philippines all came from LCCB (Vigie Cu-1984; Judith Verdadero-1992; Lina Sedonio-1993; Cecilia Locsin Nava-1994; Benito Verdadero-1995; and Josephine Uy Demerre-1996). This prestigious national recognition given to LCCBâ€™s former students is a testimony to her excellent educational standard.
LCC Bacolodâ€™s existence for the past 88 years is a witness of its fidelity to the mission especially in the Christian formation of the youth of Negros and the entire country. Tomorrow, she will stand as it is today. As long as there is one single LCCian with a heart to love and the will to serve; as long as there are competent and dedicated people who believe in the ideals and spirit of our Foundresses, LCC Bacolod will always be a dynamic Christian Community of learning, actively involved in the pursuit of “a Nationalist Education for Faith and Justice Toward a Societal Transformation.”