San Isidro College
Forming men and women of prayer and work…
San Isidro College was founded by Fr. Joseph Reith, S.J. in July 1949. It was established when Malaybalay was still a young capital town of Bukidnon. He named the school, San Isidro College, after Malaybalayâ€™s Patron Saint, San Isidro Labrador, the patron saint of the farmers. Thus, the school logo bears the motto “Ora et Labora”, which means prayer and work. The school started with 90 1st year students and 30 2nd year students with five teaching staff in School Year, 1945-1950. Classes were held in a two-storey residential house where now stands the RVM Convent. Fr. Reith, with the RVM Sisters, ran the school.
In 1951-1952, the Principal of San Isidro High School was Sr. Ma. Gertrudis Lim, RVM, the Superior of the RVM Sisters at that time. She was with Sr. Ma. Remedios Tagamolita, RVM, Procuratrix and Sr. Ma. Estrella Lopez, RVM, the Dormitory In-charge. In April 1952, San Isidro High School produced its first batch of 23 graduates.
The American Sisters of the Congregation of Saint Joseph of Newark took over the administration in 1953. Sr. Mary Redempta McConnell, CSJ administered the school from 1953 to 1971. Her 18 years of administration was the longest in SICâ€™s history. She sowed the tradition of intellectual, spiritual and social development of the learners coupled with strict discipline for character formation.
Sister Mary’s administration acquired the present site of the school, the 12-room school building in 1956, school convent Villa San Jose in 1963, school gymnasium in 1966, additional classrooms, library and offices in 1969-1970. Foremost of her achievement was the attainment of full College Status of San Isidro College in 1969.
The school grew in its academic perspective when it offered a one-year Collegiate Secretarial course in 1962, Bachelor of Science in Commerce in 1964, Liberal Arts in 1965 and Education in 1965. The one-year Secretarial Course became a two-year Junior Secretarial course in 1970.
When the Sisters of St. Joseph of Newark went back to the United States of America, the school was turned over to Bishop Francisco Claver, S.J. D.D. in 1971 who invited the Marist Brothers to manage the school. The Marist Brothers administered the school from 1971 to 1985. They focused on the development of the faculty, especially the lay administrators, constructed the Sta. Maria Building and covered walks, improved the facilities of the gymnasium, library and laboratories.
After the Marist Brothers, the Missionary Benedictine Sisters administered the school for 11 years from 1985 to 1996. The Chair of the Board of Trustees at that time was Bishop Gaudencio Rosales, D.D. (now the Cardinal). After him, the Chair of the Board of Trustees is Bishop Honesto Ch. Pacana S.J. D.D., the Bishop of Malaybalay.
The Benedictines left the legacy of construction of the Amrhein Building of the College; construction of the St. Benedict Building of the Grade School and the Guest House/Home Economics building; opening of the SIC Grade School in 1993; scholarships for students; establishment of Computer Laboratories; and Standardization of Processes in preparation for PAASCU Accreditation.
In 1997, Fr. Felimon A. Ares, Jr., a Diocesan Priest and Superintendent of BUACS (Bukidnon Association of Catholic Schools) at that time, became the President. Sr. Lilia U. Nuesca, FdCC was the Vice President from 1999 to 2001. From 2002 to 2006, two Canossian Daughters of Charity Religious Sisters administered SIC as presidents: Sr. Lilia U. Nuesca, FdCC in 2002 to 2004 and Sr. Luzviminda G. Mojica, FdCC in 2004-2006.
Among the notable events during the advent of the 21st century were the PAASCU accreditations; adoption of Sitio Aquarius as outreach partner community; establishment of the SIC Community Outreach Center; establishment of the SICRED Center (San Isidro College Research and Development); construction of the four-storey San Isidro Building; upgrading of the Computer and Science Laboratories; acquisition of Instructional Technology facilities particularly the Speech Laboratory, the Technology-assisted Instruction Room (TAIRO) and the Health-related courses laboratory and equipment; Faculty Development Programs [Personnel Study Assistance Program (PESAP), Personnel Performance Appraisal System (PPAS), and Personnel Award and Recognition Program (PARP)]; and upgrading and revision of the VMGO of the School.
In School Year, 2006-2007, a distinguished alumnus, a Certified Public Accountant and a Diocesan priest, Fr. Virgilio H. Delfin, as the new President. His first year of administration is marked with the opening of the TESDA-accredited courses: Caregiving, Medical Transcription, Health Care Services, Finishing Course for Call Center Agents, Household Services, PC Operations, Programming, Oracle, Java and Hardware Servicing. He also established the Fr. Joseph Reith, S.J. Memorial Scholarship Foundation for the poor but deserving students.
At present, San Isidro College is the only Catholic, Higher Educational Institution in the City of Malaybalay. Until now, it continues to serve and respond to the needs of the people and the society, particularly the people of Bukidnon and the neighboring provinces and cities.
SIC administrationâ€™s Nine-Point Agenda (2006-2011):
1. Innovation of the organizational structure for better delivery of formation and services;
2. Innovations for more effective and participative Fiscal Planning, Management and Implementation;
3. Robust Faculty and Staff Development Programs and upgrading of remuneration and fringe benefits;
4. Continuing pursuit for quality education and academic processes through accreditation;
5. Development of Health-related, Information Technology and Technical/Vocational-related courses which are locally and globally relevant;
6. Construction of more infrastructures for a better learning environment;
7. Strengthening of Research and Extension to facilitate the activities of the faculty for the improvement of instruction and community services;
8. Focus on English Programs for the development or improvement of communication skills; and
9. Upgrading of support-to-instruction facilities such as laboratories, multi-media technologies, programs and the like.
The School of Arts and Sciences prepares students to develop and practice the art of effective communication, to nurture their cultural roots and heritage, to think critically for sound and responsible judgment or decision-making and to understand social issues and problems so they will become catalyst for social transformation. The school offers specializations on Bachelor of Arts in English, Philosophy, Economics and Theology. The school takes pride of the fact that most of the Diocesan priests in Bukidnon took their baccalaureate degree in Theology/Philosophy from San Isidro College before going to higher Seminary Schools. Lately, the school spearheaded an activity named “Balik Ugat: A Glimpse of the Bukidnon Arts and Culture” which aimed at re-educating students to appreciate their own roots. It has organized the editorial staff of the SAS publication named IKAGI NU which is the Bukidnon term for “express it”.
The School of Education envisions to produce future educators who have deep understanding of human nature and the teaching-learning process. The school emphasizes to students that education is a harmonizing instrument to promote peace, social justice, Christian family life, preservation of nature and sustainable human development. It has the following programs: Bachelor of Elementary Education and Bachelor of Secondary Education major in English, Mathematics, Filipino and Religious Education minor in English or Mathematics.
The School of Business Administration was formerly the School of Commerce. In accordance to CHED Memorandum Order (CMO) No. 39, s. 2006 it became Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) to keep pace with the demands of local and international business environment and to be globally competitive. The school prepares its students by imparting not just basic business knowledge, but also important qualities and skills that are essential for future business leadership and organizational success. The courses offered under this program are: Bachelor of Science in Business Administration major in Human Resource Development Management, Marketing Management, Financial Management and Business Economics. This school also offers Bachelor of Science in Accountancy.
The School of Information Technology prepares its students to become proficient in the use of computer and other forms of communication involving recent technologies. It offers the Bachelor of Science in Office Administration (with Computer or ICT as area of concentration), two-year Computer Secretarial Course and short courses accredited by the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA). These courses are: six-month Contact Center Services, 100-Hour Finishing Course for Call Center Agents, three-Mmnth PC Operations, six-month Computer Programming, six-month Computer Hardware Servicing, Software developer on Java and Oracle.
The School of Health Sciences opened a year ago. It prepares its students to become employable with the skills needed by industries not only in the country but globally as well. It initially offers courses accredited by TESDA: six-month Medical Transcription, Finishing Course for Medical Transcription, Care-giving and Health Care Services. At present, it is preparing to offer CHED Programs related to Health Sciences.
Primary and secondary education
The Grade School Department of San Isidro College is the only Catholic Grade School in the City of Malaybalay. It prepares pupils to acquire the academic competencies needed for Secondary Education. It also instills spiritual, social, ethical and moral values to pupils. Through the years, it has produced graduates who proved to sustain their competence from High School to College.
On the other hand, San Isidro High School is a name that rings a bell not only to its loyal alumni but to everyone who knows of its tradition for academic excellence, spiritual formation, character building through discipline and social consciousness through exposures and involvement. This Isidran tradition began from the time of the schoolâ€™s founder Fr. Joseph Reith, SJ in 1949. This was carried on by Sr. Mary Redempta McConnell for almost 20 years. Since then, this tradition has been upheld by the institution despite the test of the time. Over the years, the San Isidro High School graduates have been noted to be intellectually or academically prepared for College with their leadership capabilities.