A hallmark of brilliance and excellence…
The Ilocos Norte College of Arts and Trades was founded in 1908 as Laoag Provincial Trade School, in line with the government policy of establishing trade schools in various parts of our country. Said policy was geared towards providing vocational training for the young people so they could make our country economically self-sufficient.
The first Principal of the school was Mr. C. Knopp, an American. The course offerings then were predominantly concerned with the development of skills for the woodworking occupations.
Mr. Summers and Mr., Andrews succeeded Mr. Kurts, respectively. During their incumbency, the course offerings consisted of manual training for boys for the fifth grade to the seventh grade. There was one concrete building used which has been converted into a two-storey building, an imposing edifice housing the library, the post secondary classes and the medical-dental clinic.
The first Filipino principal of the school was Mr. Miguel Guerrero. It was during his administration that the curricular offerings were expanded to include home economics for girls and the first year for the secondary level.
Mr. Leslie Klejunger, Mr. Leoncio Agacaoili, and Mr. Petronilo Madamba, next held the reins of the school in respective succession.
In 1921, the expanding curriculum included a complete elementary curriculum and the first two years of the secondary course. This resulted to a marked increase in enrolment, making it necessary to expand the housing facilities of the school.
The next school principal was Mr. Melanio Orbeta. During his time, a complete four-year secondary curriculum was implemented.
Mr. Domingo Aviado succeeded Mr. Orbeta in 1934. The enrolment then increased to 300. It became necessary to phase out the elementary course and concentrate on the secondary trade courses which now included home economics for girls. The school continued to be a provincial trade school until the World War II when Mr. Daniel Rodriguez was the Principal.
After Mr. Rodriguez, Mr. Genaro Pedro,a native of Laoag took over the principalship. More buildings rose within the campus to cope with the housing needs of a rapidly increasing enrolment. New courses for boys and girls were offered like radio mechanics, electricity, machine shop practice for the boys and dressmaking, foods trade, and cosmetology for girls.
Mr. Pedro de Luna became the next principal in 1952. It was during his administration that the Ilocos Norte Trade School was converted from a provincial trade school into a National School of Arts and Trades. by virtue of Republic Act No. 906. The curriculum now included trade-technical courses.
In year 1957, the school was administered by its first Superintendent. The honor went to Atty. Andres R. Asistin who became Director of the Bureau of Vocational Education and then the Director of Secondary Education, Ministry of Education, Culture and Sports.
Mr. Hilarion C. Agustin, a native of Laoag, took over the stewardship of the school as the second Superintendent, with Mr. Bonifacio Arzadon, Mr. Angle Asuncion, Mr. Eligio Magpantay and Mr. Jose Palafox in respective succession as principals. Under Mr. Agustins administration, the school was converted into IIocos Norte College of Arts and Trades by virtue of Republic Act. No 5947. Also through the efforts of Mr. Agustin, permission was granted for the school to open and offer the complete four years of the Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education. During the time of Mr. Agustin many new and modem buildings were erected. Among them are the Science Building, the two-storey housing the library and the medical-dental clinic, the DAST office armory, the Applied Electronics building and the Practical Arts Training Center.
Another achievement of Mr. Agustinâ€™s administration was the offering of course leading to the degree of Master of Arts in Teaching Vocational Education and the course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology.
On January 6, 1978 the Mariano Marcos State University was created by virtue of Presidential Decree No. 1279. The decree provided for among others the transferring of the college level courses of the IIocos Norte College of Arts and Trades into said university. Since then school continued to operate as a purely secondary trade institution of learning with Mr. Jose M. Palafox, a native of San Nicolas, IIocos Norte as its Principal. It was during his administration that the renovation of the Pld RTS Building and the construction of the COA office, the Cafeteria annex and the garage housing the old school vehicles took place. Through the help of the Parent-Teacher Association, the roofing of the INCAT Quadrangle was also undertaken.
Mr. Bonifacio F. Santos of Laoag City succeeded Mr. Palafox on September 21, 1985.lt was during his administration that the New Science Building and the New Quadrangle stage, were put up.
In 1991, Mr. Eugenio P. Pedro, also a native of Laoag City took over the administratorship of the school. It is during his administration that the school was able to store its identity as Higher Technical Education Institution with his appointment as Vocational School Superintendent. Many old buildings were renovated and the administration building which houses the COA and administrative was put up. Efforts by different people were made for t~e school to be absorbed by the university but through his leadership these efforts proved futile. Today the technician courses keep on expanding and the enrolment keeps increasing.
It is during his administration the Post Secondary courses were offered in School Year 1992-1993 by virtue of DECS R01 Order NO.2 with only four (4) courses. Offerings grew over the years to 14 regular courses and 5 skills upgrading courses all registered and accredited under the Unified TVET Program Registration System (UTPRAS) of TESDA.
In pursuit of excellence, as it has envisioned itself to be an accepted leader of vocational and technology education where the young are provided academic and skills training that would make them responsible and productive citizens the Ilocos Norte College of Arts and Trades through the years continue to strengthen its curriculum offerings, upgrade its facilities and improve its academic and co-curricular achievements.
Presently, the school offers secondary and post secondary courses with a total student population of almost three thousand students. The secondary department has a population of 2,321. I NCAT organizational structure is headed by a Vocational School Superintendent and under him are the different department heads. The teaching workforce is composed of 13 instructors in the post secondary and 87 teachers in the secondary department.
To make possible that lessons are interesting to the learners the school through the support of the PTA has work out different plans to meet the needs of the teachers and students particularly in the delivery of concepts and lessons. To further facilitate tangible learning in the field of technical education laboratory classrooms are prepared with facilities to make sure the necessary skills are taught by teachers.
Studentâ€™s performance is evidently shown in their achievements in various academic and co-curricular activities undertaken from the division the national level. Student leaders and sent to local and national conferences, wOilâ€™1kshops to help them develop their leadership potentials to the fullest. Instructors/Teachers are supported and sent to various activities that will prepare them to be more efficient and productive in the delivery of their services. Teachers are sent to attend training and workshops. In line with curriculum development teachers are encouraged to upgrade their teaching devices and instructional materials every calendar year.
The various recognitions obtained by the students of the school is a basic reflection of the inspiration they draw from their teachers. In same manner that the devotion given by teachers in their tasks is an output of the encouragement and support the administration bas extended to the academic and tech-voc community.
Today, INCAT has the biggest enrolment among all Tech-Voc providers in Region I. The training facilities are continuously upgraded to meet the ever-changing trend of technological advancement. This is ensured with a continuous training programs conducted by TESDA. These qualified INCA T to become an Accredited Skills Assessment Center for the different occupational trades like: Automotive Mechanic, Welder, Consumer Electronic, Mechanic Building and the like.
INCAT is also designated as Training Assessment and licensing Center for Refrigeration Technician on its Philippine National CFC Phase Out Plan for environmental preservation and protection.
INCAT is also designated by the office of the president of the Philippines as PGMA Tourist School in Pottery and the Training Center for the PGMA Scholarship for Work Program in Shielded Metal Arc Welding. It is also designated by the National Telecommunications Commission as National Radio Training School.
The secondary department on the other is selected as one of the pilot schools of the Strengthened Technical-Vocational Education Program for Secondary Schools. As part of its being a pilot school tech-voc teachers undergo technical training and upgrading of their skills at the same time support from government comes in the form of facilities and classroom structures.
As the institution celebrates its Centennial with the theme: INCAT at 100 Hallmark of Brilliance and Excellence the school administration, faculty, parents, alumni and other INCAT family honor the past, celebrate the present and imagine the future.