Schools By Region
Career Guide - Philippine Education, Skills and Job Outlook
Architect Career Guide
Architects are licensed professionals trained in the art and science of building design. They provide a wide variety of professional services to individuals and organizations planning a construction project.
* Provide pre-design services - conducting feasibility and environmental
impact studies, selecting a site, and specifying the requirements the design
* Prepare drawings and a report presenting ideas for the client to review;
* Develop final construction plans;
* Prepare cost analysis;
* May assist client in obtaining construction bids, selecting a contractor, and negotiating the construction contract;
* Visit construction site to ensure that the contractor is following the design, using specified materials and meeting the specified standards for the quality of work;
* Review the progress of the project;
* Do long-range planning for land development;
* May direct activities of workers engaged in preparing drawings and specification documents.
Architect Basic Educational RequirementA professional degree in Architecture (a 5-year program) is the basic educational requirement. Prior to taking up the licensure examination for Architects, a period of practical training and internship is required. Architecture students who complete internships in architectural firms while still in school can count that time toward the required training period. Graduates of Architecture have to pass the licensure examination conducted by the Professional Regulation Commission before they can practice the profession or can provide architectural services.
Although graduate education beyond the professional degree is not essential for practicing architecture, it is normally required for research, teaching and other specialized areas of architectural work.
Architect Skills and Competencies* Ability to visually communicate ideas to clients;
* Ability to conceptualize and understand spatial relationships;
* Artistic and drawing ability;
* Excellent communication (written & oral) skills;
* Computer literacy - knowledge of computer - aided design and drafting CADD);
* Strong Organizational skills with attention to details;
* Managerial & supervisory skills.
Architect Physical Attributes and Characteristics* Creative;
* Responsive to client's needs;
* Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
Architect Salary / CompensationLocally, architects receive a monthly salary ranging from P16,000 - P21,000 depending on the type of employer.
In the Middle East, architects receive a monthly salary of $1,395 to $2,790, again depending on the type of employer.
In other foreign countries, pay and benefits are definitely higher than local rates.
Architect Prospects for Career AdvancementArchitects who have acquired considerable experience in their work eventually manage entire projects. In large establishments, architects may advance to supervisory or managerial positions. Some become partners in established firms while others may set up their own architectural firms and become an independent practitioner.
As a career move, architects may also enter other related fields such as graphic interior or industrial design; urban planning; real estate development; civil engineering; and construction management.
Architect Employment OpportunitiesOverall, job opportunities are good although the demand for architects is affected by fluctuations in the economy, particularly the state of the construction industry. Growth coming from both non-residential and residential construction will provide ample job opportunities for practicing architects.
Demographic trends such as increasing population also support an increase in demand for this profession. An increasing population will require the building of more houses, schools, health care facilities such as hospitals, commercial office spaces, entertainment facilities, shopping centers and other type of structures.
A recent trend is the outsourcing to local architectural firms the drafting of construction plans from foreign countries. This trend is expected to continue especially with the unprecedented growth in the business process outsourcing (BPO) industry in the Philippines.
Opportunities for overseas employment is also expanding particularly in the Middle East countries that are experiencing a construction boom in their economy. Also, better opportunities are available to those who know CADD technology since the use of computer-aided design and drafting is now the practice of most architectural companies.
Architect Cost of EducationA degree in Architecture costs around P25,000 to P35,000 per semester.
* Based on tuition fee rates for school year 2007 - 2008