Schools By Region
Career Guide - Philippine Education, Skills and Job Outlook
Civil Engineer Career Guide
Civil Engineers perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, dams, irrigation projects, pipeline, power plants, water and sewage system, waste disposal units, and other civil engineering structures.
Civil Engineer Task
* Advise on and design structures such as bridges, dams, docks, roads,
airports, railways, canals, pipelines, waste-disposal and flood-control systems,
and industrial and other large buildings;
* Advise, direct and supervise underground constructions such as tunnels, basements, foundations, and also scope protection, infrastructures, water containment and distribution systems;
* Establish control systems to ensure efficient functioning of structures as well as safety and environmental protection;
* Investigate existing structures, retrofit and strengthen the same;
Organize and direct maintenance and repair of existing structures;
* Study and advise on technological aspects of particular materials;
* Maintain technical liaison and consultancy with other relevant specialist;
* Inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to design specifications and safety or sanitation standards.
Civil Engineer Basic Educational Requirement
A diploma in Civil Engineering is required and practice of profession requires a license from the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC).
Civil Engineer Skills and Competencies* Knowledgeable in building construction phases, cost control, planning, PERT-CPM scheduling, and safety measures or procedures;
* Can implement work starting from interpretation of plans to materials take-off and costing, procurement, manpower scheduling and project construction;
* Familiar in building maintenance including masonry, carpentry, painting, plumbing and electrical works;
* Knowledgeable in business management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, production methods, and coordination and supervision of people;
* Good oral and written communication skills.
Civil Engineer Physical Attributes and Characteristics* Can handle extreme pressure;
* Willing to work extended hours if needed;
* Creative and imaginative;
* Near vision - ability to see details at close range.
Civil Engineer Salary / Compensation
Locally, civil engineers receive a monthly salary ranging from P15,000 -
P21,000 depending on the type of employer.
In the US, civil engineers receive a monthly salary of $4,660 to $6,300, again depending on the type of employer.
In other foreign countries, pay and benefits are definitely higher than local rates.
Civil Engineer Prospects for Career Advancement
Civil Engineers may advance into supervisory positions, taking complete charge of a construction project as Project Engineer. This involves bigger responsibilities which consist of directing construction, operations, and maintenance activities at project site.
Another area to further advance their career is to engage in consultancy services wherein they provide technical advice regarding design, construction, or program modification and structural repairs to industrial and managerial personnel. They may also render services in the conduct of scientific studies to identify engineering problems and assess the potential impact of projects.
Civil Engineer Employment Opportunities
Locally, the demand for Civil Engineers depends on the current state of the construction industry. A construction boom will spur the demand for Civil Engineers and other skilled construction workers. Government spending on infrastructure will likewise push the demand for this type of workers.
Overseas, the demand for engineers and other construction workers of various skills will continue in the Middle East, Korea, The Caribian islands, Malaysia, Ireland and Canada.
Civil Engineer Cost of Education
In a public university, a course in Civil Engineering cost approximately
P3,400 per semester or a total of P34,000 for the entire five- year course.
In a private institution, the total cost may range between P310,000 in less expensive schools to P515,000 in the more expensive schools.
* Based on tuition fee rates for school year 2007-2008